The challenge on this project was to establish the optimal uses for two mothballed, original campus buildings, Hicks and Cutler Halls. Built in 1914, these classical buildings, coupled with the nearby modern buildings, express the combination of history, technology, and community that make up today’s Farmingdale State campus. While their presence on the quadrangle helps physically define the campus core, their interior layouts and physical state no longer supported campus programs. Our adaptive reuse plan included general classrooms in Hicks Hall, while for Cutler Hall we conceived a campus welcome center. Interior improvements included conservation of the 1936 WPA murals, plaster and wood paneling restoration, and installation of all new building systems. The exterior work included restoration of the brick and cast stone façades, wood trim and windows, and thermal performance upgrades, and repairs of the slate roofs and copper flashing. The designs included new ADA compliant entry ramps, new elevators, and toilets.